7th Moon

Friday, February 10, 2017

For the love of Final Fantasy

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! Make sure to get your copies of the Magic of Rochester Trilogy from Amazon, including Red Ellen, Waking Dream, and the recently released conclusion Riding the Dragon! Perfect for the paranormal romance fan you forgot to get a present for. Or if you're alone, get 7th Moon the RPG from Steam in the RPG Maker MV workshop.

Meanwhile for me, the only Valentine I've got is Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy VII(see what I did there). I did try, but unfortunately, I haven't had as much success when I'm preoccupied with four Final Fantasy games. I've already talked at length about Final Fantasy XV which has about a week left of the Moogle Chcobo Carnival and I'm hard at work fishing to try and get the event rod and reel, or at least get my fishing skill up, but I did everything else so I'm ready for it to be over so I can get back to the man story. I'm also playing Final Fantasy Record Keeper which doesn't have a whole lot of newsworthy content, although it is the most fun piece of nostalgia even though it's nothing new, just a trip down memory lane.

Mobius Final Fantasy has gone hardcore recently, like I said last week, it's on Steam so it can be played on the PC and wow, the graphics are even better than I thought. I expected it would just be bigger, but the animation is smoother too. The only complaint I've got is regarding the interface, which I'm fairly used to by now having played this game for months and the transition wasn't all bad, but it's painfully clear this was not originally for PC. While the interface is convenient for on the go gaming with a phone or mobile device, it comes off as simplistic on the PC. All that said, the game is still pretty solid, especially with the new FFVII event they started the day after the Steam release, for the next two months you can fight through the Mako Reactors with Cloud in a special region of Palamecia. One cool thing is that you get to use Wol and all his special abilities, and it gets worked into the cosmology of Mobius as you and your fairy companion Echo try to figure out how he and his world got here. I'm a little optimistic that they are calling this the FFVII Remake event, not just FFVII but Remake is in the title as well, which I hope means that since they ofte time tribute events in apps with the release of the actual game that his might mean that around the time the event ends April 1 we'll finally get FFVII remake or at least a definitive release date.

My new game is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius which I was debating for a long time and finally took the plunge for Ariana Grande. Yeah, I know that sounds weird, but for some reason of all possible celebrities to be the first to become a final Fantasy character, Ariana Grande was chosen to become Dangerous Ariana. To ecxplain how she fits in, first I have to explain what this game is. Brave Exvius is a game that doesn't feel much like a Final Fantasy game and yet very much a great 16 bit era JRPG, the sort of game I wish they still made. The story follows two knights named Rain and Laswell who receive a supernatural cry for help from the shrine of the Earth Crystal and when they go answer it, it begins an incredible adventure to save the world and they are aided by the power to summon Visions, which are people from other worlds that and/or times that join your party. Visions are not to be confused with Espers which are summoned in battle as summons usually work in Final Fantasy and function in a completely different way. Visions are basically an excuse to drag in characters from every other Final Fantasy game as well as original characters that represent traditional jobs that are otherwise underrepresented. The one thing that kind of sucks is that Visions don't seem to have an actual role in the story, which is highlighted by how the half dozen main characters are very active and are very entertaining in their own right. Rain and Laswell have a hilarious rapport and the main story seems to be plenty of fun and almost seems to get dragged down by the gimmick of summoning Visions. That said, this is the explanation for Ariana Grande who is a Vision with minimal story but she will be part of your party permanently once acquired. Unfortunately she's not actually available anymore as she only came with a two week limited event that I didn't find out about until the last day and just barely got her at all. The reason I screwed up on this was that I hard about how she was going to be in the game from the same company who promised FFFVII remake two years ago and FFXV ten years ago when it was going to be FFXIII Versus, so while I'm waiting forever for what I really want, I was surprised to find this whole Ariana Grande thing came and went in less than a month.

Square Enix is making some good games, but seriously, if there is any chance this is getting back to the head honchos over there, can you take a break from free-to-play apps and focus on getting FFVII out already?

No comments:

Post a Comment