7th Moon

Friday, November 7, 2014

NaNoWriMo Week 1: Red Ellen and the future of 7th Moon

Hello all, it's National Novel Writer's Month and I'm working on a new novel titled Red Ellen, so I am going to try to keep my blog short so I can get back to it and meet my deadline. Before I get to that though I want to talk about 7th Moon. I have said that I wanted to continue the series and I do, and I am working on volume 2 of 5 and I'm in the third chapter. Two years ago I started it for NaNoWriMo but choked and never finished. I did pick it up again later, but it will still take time and I can't use it for NaNoWriMo again because I already went on record saying I tried it before, which is why I need to try a new novel. I do still think about where 7th Moon is heading and as long as I am a writer there will be a complete set of five. This next book will focus on mecha and what's going on outside of Japan in he rest of the world, think Gundam Wing, Code Geass:Llouche of the Rebellion or Gurren Lagann. It starts one year after the end of the first book and war is on the horizon, China is repeating the Three Kingdoms war, the Middle East is in a holy war, vampires with steampunk mechs are all over Europe, and the USA is now only five cities, and Hidariude and the other espers get dragged into all of these conflicts. In the third book, the truth about the multiple moons comes out as they fall out of orbit and crash to Earth, and while the immediate and obvious disaster is avoided, it does bring the kaiju, the mutants that resulted from the genetic experiments that destroyed the colonies. Hidariude and company will have to fight through the monsters icluding the six giant masters a la Power Rangers. Then we'll do Guardians of Paradise which will tell the story of the samurai, the monk, and the ninja who served Shinryuu 800 years ago. This will involve demons and mirror 7th Moon-only in feudal era Japan! Finally there will be one last book that will send off our characters in a thinly veiled tribute to Final Fantasy. I should note that not all of the characters will survive to be in the final book, but I'm gonna make you wait to find out who.

Now, back to Red Ellen, the story of a girl who finds out that she is a changeling, specifically a fairy princess, and she is now responsible for all the supernatural beings in her city. These supernatural beings include werewolves, magi, and undead, and each group has presented a young suitor to win Ellen's heart and her favor for their faction. Now she must choose between hunky Jason the werewolf, exotic Ralph the wizard, and bad boy Nate the vampire. It's similar to Twilight except that the vampire is the bad guy. No he's not a tormented soul in need of understanding, he's the sort of guy you warn your friend not to date and she dates him anyway, only he's even worse than that. My intent is to turn the paranormal romance genre on its head by making vampires evil again. We've been sympathizing with them for too long, sparkling was taking it too far, it's time for vampires to be the villains they were always supposed to be. this story started out as an idea I had for my own take on the supernatural world, but I didn't really ahve a story to use it with, and then I thought I could try the paranormal romance genre and use my world as a setting for the anti-Twilight. I hope it's similar enough to attract the existing audience while being different enough to win over people who would otherwise disdain the genre. I plan for this to be a trilogy, with each book covering a critical year in her life from her birthday which happens to be St. Patrick's Day until Halloween when the undead are at their stongest. The first book is 16, followed by 18, and then finally 21. The big twist, I'm going to let the readers help me decide whether she ends up with the wizard or the werewolf, or neither, or both, I'm open to polyamory.

So far I'm in my third chapter, Ellen has discovered what she is and met the key players, including her three potential boyfriends and her cousin Jasper and his girlfriend Jade, who are both dragonkin, one-eighth dragon and great-grandchildren of changelings themselves. I haven't really gotten past introductions so i need to get back to the book, so see you for my next update next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment