7th Moon

Friday, November 28, 2014

NaNoWriMo Week 4 the finale!

Okay folks, I really don't have a lot of time, it's the last weekeend of National Novel Writers Month and I have three days to write 9,000 words so I really have to get back to Red Ellen. I made a lot of progress in the last week, a lot has happened, though I can't say a whole lot because it would be a bunch of spoilers. I will say that in the timeline of the story we have gone from St. Patrick's Day to October, the last month of the cycle of the story becaue the big ending will be on Halloween. At the moment I'm in the middle of a big scene where Jade is about to have twins, in case you forgot that's the girlfriend of Jasper, the cousin of the main character Ellen and both Jade and Jasper are dragonkin, descendants of dragon changelings. Sound complicated? That's juat a subplot, imagine what the rest of the book is like. Also Hope, Ellen's nanny is back in town, and on that note I would like to review the supporting cast behind my main characters as mentioned last week.

The parents: Mr. and Mrs. Red, Sarah, Ian, Tom and Uncle Alistair - These characters simply give background to the main characters by saying where they came from. I purposely avoided giving names to Ellen's parents to highlight how unimportant they were. There isn't a whole lot to say what you see is what you get they are functional, one-dimensional background characters, I really don't want them drawing attention away from the main cast.

Amy and Tasha - The secondary antagonists, these are Jason and Ralph's alternate girlfriends, their exes who presumably they would hook up with if Ellen doesn't choose them. These two are, simply put, jealous psycho bitches. We've all met them, we know they are real and in Ellen's world it's no different, they just take it to another level, a supernatural level. I have a very good reason for these two to fill in a hole that I created, and I hope that it will work out as well as I intend.

Ashley and Brittany - The names say it all. They were inspired by the cliques from the cartoon Recess where a group of girls were all named Ashley and in one episode we discovered they all had younger sisters the same age as each other all named Brittany. I couldn't help it but after that all I can think of is that Ashley and Brittany mean something and what that means is the most shallow one dimensional stereotypical girl who is so self-absorbed she doesn't even care that she's nothing but a stereotype, and in fact may go out of her way to be the human Barbie doll everyone seems to think she is. They don't appear a lot in the story, their only purpose is to simply be the normal girls in Ellen's life, a symbol of how simple things used to be.

Rainbow the Unicorn - When I decided to make Ellen a fairy princess in a love triangle with a werewolf and a vampire, I was trying to play into stereotypical girl fantasies and I figured having a unicorn was the one thing I was missing to make the picture complete. I went with the name Rainbow because of the phrase "All rainbows and unicorns" which usually refers to someone being overly optimistic. Although it seems to be a joke, my real point is that Ellen actually has the dream going for her, she actually has the rainbows and unicorns literally. Also, I wanted to throw in another fairy type character because I was kind of light on those.

Orlock - named for the vampire from Nosferatu the first vampire movie, Orlock was the vampire that turned Nate. For the most part he serves the same role as the parents of the other characters, but he's also the scapegoat for Nate that he can blame everything wrong on. Orlock is also arguably the one who originally set everything in motion.

Hope and Morty - I really can't say a whole lot about these two characters, but there is a lot more going on with them than it appears. They appear to be merely servants of Ellen and Nate respectively, but pay attention to how they always seem to be where they are needed just when they are needed...there is a reason...

Okay, that's enough for now, gotta get back to writing, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment