7th Moon

Friday, December 26, 2014

Legend of Korra finale

Tomorrow is the last movie weekend for Toonami with both Evangelion movies, but that can wait because last week I went ahead and posted before the release of the Legend of Korra finale and grossly underestimated the significance, so we gotta talk about this.

Okay, so the conflict was pretty standard fare, Kuvira showed up with a giant robot and everybody worked together to stop it. Sorry, but this just isn't all that new, though it was fun to watch anyway. However it was sad to see Asami reconnect with her father only to watch him die to save her and everybody else. It was also almost sad to see how Mako almost sacrificed himself, but Bolin saved him, thank god, I was actually scared there for a minute, who know they don't need anybody to survie a series finale anybody can die. But the coolest part was that Varrick and Zhu Li did the thing! What thing you ask? All of the things! They got engaged, they set off an electromagnetic pulse to stop an army of robots, they helped save the world and they got married. The best part for me was when Varrick asked her to "do the thing" and she simply replied "there are no things left to do."

Or at least Varrick and Zhu Li doing the thing would have been the highlight if not for the "F**k it all take this s**t! It's a series finale you can't fire us, HAHA!" ending where Kora walked off with...Asami! Korra is a lesbian!

Okay, folks, this happened, get over it. I never thought about Korrasami before Asami came to talk to Korra at the party at the end of the episode. Suddenly I got a lesbian vibe. Asami said "I don't know what I would do if I lost my father and you in the same day." What about Mako? He risked his life too...unless Korra means something more than that...Asami, Korra is there somethign you want to tell us? Back a season or two ago when Mako was feeling awkward around you two and you just laughed at him, is that because you guys already had your own little secret? They agree to go on a vaction to the spirit world and hold hands as they go out in the final scene.

I rushed to the forums and sure enough, Korrasami was everywhere, Facebook, Twitter, Gaia Online. Eventually the prducers came out and confirmed that it was what it appeared to be. And yet, still some people had to give us shit about the ending, and surprisingly it wasn't necessarily homophobes, but primarily Makorra shippers. All right, if we're drawing battle lines, I am on team Korrasami. That's how the writers went, and that's how it works sometimes. As a writer, I have found my characters kind of veer off in their own direction. In 7th Moon, Aka was supposed to be a minor character and yet he overwhelmed Seichei who was supposed to be the primary antagonist. Korra turned out to be a lesbian. Makorra fans, seriously, Mako cheated on Asami when he first hooked up with Korra and nobody seems to care that Bolin made the first move when they first met so he also broke bro code "though shalt not mack on chicks thy bro has called dibs on". My point is, Mako may be a good guy, but Asami is equally suitable, you just want to go for the obvious heterosexual pairing of the male and female leads. Things went a bit different, and I say that's okay. My view on other people's sexual orientation is simple, the only time it matters is if it's a girl I want to be with and fictional women n alternate universes, especially animated ones are far enough off that scale I don't care that she is a lesbian. I am happy for the gay community as a whole that finally a cartoon aimed at kids has the guts to reveal a gay lead. At least, it's new for America anyway, anime fans are quite familiar with animated gays and lesbians, from Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus, to Big Cheese from Samurai Pizza Cats, to Freddy Luo in Outlaw Star, Leeron in Gurren Lagann, and that one chick in Bleach who is openly lezzing for Orohime and doesn't care who knows that her life's goal is to get to second base with her busty classmate. Gay happens, and with all the kids being raised by gay parents, or having friends in that situation, most are aware that it happens and it's not traumatic for them to be exposed to it. The really disturbing part is that we are still so wary of it that even when somebody does dare to go there, it's done with limits. There is a fan gif of Korra and Asami kissing after the last frame of Legend of Korra and I say consider it canon; we never saw Aang have sex with Katara but they had three kids, so it must have happened. Korra is a lesbian, Asami is her girlfriend, and they lived happily ever after. THE END!

And with that, folks, I bring to an end my first year of my blog. I hope you've all enjoyed the ride, I look forward to next year. See you in the future and stay gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment