7th Moon

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Final Fantasy Record Keeper and Roc Con 2016 preview

I've been playing a game called Final Fantasy Record Keeper when I am forced to stay in one place and can't play Pokemon Go. This is definitely a game for fans, the "story" being that all of the records of all the Final Fantasy games are being kept by record keepers in some neutral world and the records are vanishing and now a record keeper named Tyro must relive all of the stories to restore them. The downside is that these stories are represented entirely by battles, the upside is that you get to recruit heroes form Final Fantasy to assist you and create your own dream team to fight through the entire franchise in the 16-bit glory of Final Fantasy VI. You get lots of customization options, from abilities to weapons and armor, and if you have ever dreamed of fighting Kefka and Sephiroth with a dragoon, a moogle, a red mage and a spoony bard, now's your chance. Otherwise you probably won't care and get tired real quick.I'm enjoying it because I really liked the old graphics and getting to see newer characters as well as old favorites in the classic style is fun, and I have played enough games to know what is going on so it's a fun romp down memory lane. However, the story relies very heavily on this nostalgia without adding much that is new. There are event dungeons that kind of shake things up a little, but aside from getting special bonuses you can put towards the main game, they actually take away from what little story there is by interrupting the premise with unrelated activities. Again, if you have had so much fun with this series that you have imagined putting together your own dream team and your own custom character, as Tyro can use all weapons and abilities to be whatever you want him to be, then this can be your fan fiction dream. For me, I changed the name to Hidarude, the closest I could get with an 8 character restriction, and he has Fira and Fira Strike, and if I can get Masamune, he will be my dream character, and he's already surprisingly kickass. I have Mog from FFVI and if when I get Red Mage and Dragoon I can put together my dream team and take on the FF multiverse in style. If you can't relate to this and think it's worth getting the game for that alone, you may not be the target audience. For those who are hardcore FF fans, download it to your mobile device now.

Next week is Roc Con and I'm all ready to set up my books, figures, and my promotional video featuring the voice of Steve Blum. I'm also excited for Vic Mignogna and this time I intend to remember to bring my Broly DVD for him to sign because for some reason I never thought of it the last two times I saw him here. I'm also very much looking forward to cosplayers and expecting lots of Harley Quinns, Jokers, Deadpools and Pokemon...okay so they happen anyway, but I expect even more this year, and I also hope for as many Makas as possible for Vic on Saturday. If you live in the Rochester area and you'll be coming, I hope to see you there, I'll give a full rundown next time, but it will be late because I'll be working the convention most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment