7th Moon

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Tora-Con 2018

I went Tora-Con this past weekend and it was a doozy, as are all cons, that's what makes them fun. First I wen to Artist Alley to check in with some friends, one of which wasn't there and I will be making fun of him for a long time over it. After over an hour of searching for my missing friend I found someone with a t-shirt showing a fusion between Nina and Alexander from Full Metal Alchemist and IRL memed Nathan Squiers FTW. Then, off to my first panel of the weekend, "American Anime" with Charles Dunbar who has the most hilarious take on the subject, if you ever get the chance to hear him talk about anime, take it. Next was "Journey to your Story" a writing workshop with Nathan Squiers and Meghan Parker which was interesting enough but it made me realize I need to work harder and write more, which was the point. Then I went to a panel to guess video game tunes and despite a full room, four people got most of the songs on one note, though I did manage to identify a song from Disgaea, but failed on the FFVI song Dancing Mad which was the one I was waiting for the whole time. I finished the day playing Pokemon Go because RIT has a lot of poke stops and poke gyms and then watched a performance by Danimal Cannon and Bit Brigade watching a live speedplay of Legend of Zelda accompanied by live rock covers of the soundtrack, so good I bought their CD, and I don't usually splurge on music unless I am truly impressed. Day two started with a Sakura Quest screening and discovering that Funimation only gives about two episodes of any dub for free, then you either pay or watch subs on Crunchyroll. Then Aki Glancy aka Empath P analyzed "The End" the Hatsune Miku opera which proved to me that no matter how wierd I think things can be, there will always be something even wierder. Finally, I ended the weekend with a panel with Studio Trigger behind Kill La Kill among other projects and they told us about all the behind the scenes secrets to character design for their shows, and proved that animators absolutely do have a sense of humor, I gave them each a copy of 7th Moon in hopes they will make an anime out of it, but since they are Japanese and don't speak english, I'm not holding my breath, but who knows, we may get a surprise.

I leave you now with a few pictures from the top cosplayers I caught pics of. I especially enjoyed Lollipop Chainsaw.






No comments:

Post a Comment