7th Moon

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Kindle Worlds coming to an end

I recently got an e-mail from Amazon saying that Kindle Worlds is being discontinued. This is a bit of a problem for me because I have two books through Kindle Worlds that will no longer be available come August. I would like to draw attention to this situation primarily due to how much I would like people to get these books while there is still time.


Dragon Hand is from the Foreworld Saga which focused on a group similar to the Knights Templar and their various adventures over the course of history, primarily the Mongol Invasion of Hungary in the thirteenth century. My take on this series was basically to place the recurring cast of Final Fantasy in this historical context and run a story that is realistic but features the familiar tropes as if they had actually happened in a world without magic or monsters and was basically boring history with a humorous twist for those in on the joke. I was actually quite proud of this and I was considering doing a sequel that took place during the Renaissance with the descendants of the characters from this book dealing with Machiavelli and Da Vinci in a bizarre secret war, but that will not be happeeing now. Also not happening, an Assassin's Creed tribute concerning the Dead Sea Scrolls, specifically one scroll regarding a psalm and perhaps a few others, starting with when the scrolls were written at Qumran, the legacy of the scribe carried on by an Assassin years later, and another later descendant in Elizabethan England who finds himself embroiled in a secret conflict over scripture that was lost to history. Sadly, while the other idas did not finish forming in my mind in time to beat Kindle Worlds submission deadline, this one is still available until August 29 so get it now!


My other book, which I am slightly less proud of, was Surface, from the Silo Saga. WOOL was the story of the survivors of an apocalypse in underground bunkers known as silos because they were built in the shape of silos but underground. For those who lived in the silos, the world outside was known only from a video feed that showed a barren crater surrounding the only door they had to the outside world and nobody actually went out there except fools who were ready to die. Over the course of the original novels by Hugh Howey, a woman named Jule discovers that her silo is one of fifty and that they were part of a plan that not only prepared for the apocalypse but actually caused it as well. After connecting with the last survivors of another silo, about a dozen of them give or take, she figures out a way for them to escape beyond the wasteland of the silos, which as it turns out is really only an area outside of Atlanta, Georgia, and while the rest of humanity has been eliminated, the world is otherwise far more inhabitable than they have been led to believe. The original story says the plan was for five hundred years, but Jule aborts it after only two hundred and fifty. It also implies that most of the silos remained as they were after the events of WOOL. I read these books with the intention of writing my own Kindle World story and the big story seed planted in my mind was, what happened to the other silos? about forty of the fifty continue to go on as they were, while a few were destroyed and some others figure out what was going on and hide from mission control. My story is how at the end of the five hundred years, the last surviviors of each silo leave, some allied to explore the new world and encounter the desendants of Jule and her fellow escapees and the others who continued to operate under the mission guidelines and are surprised to learn that the plan went sideways hard. I wrote this story in about two or three weeks and tried to publish it fast because my original title got stolen by another and I think my second title got stolen too, so I needed to get it out before somebody stole this idea too. I learned the hard way that stories should not be rushed, and this book is not great, but I don't completely hate it, I just have to be honest that this is not my best work and I hesitate to make this the first book of mine anyone ever reads.

Well, there they are, please get them before they're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment